2014/04/16

Hanami Kimono Jacket

Spring has finally taken over. Everybody loves this season, right?
Days are getting longer and the sun fills everybody up with new energy and motivation! 

So back again with a new project. Hanami kimono jacket! :-) 


It is a loose fitting open jacket. The pattern itself is made out of very geometric pieces. You can see this more clearly in the last photo at the end of this post.


Unfortunately, I cannot share this pattern with you. I made this one based on a jacket already in my closet. I liked the shape a lot, but the fabric of the original simply did not fit me. So I opted to copy it! ;-) 


The chosen fabric is a linen blend. It is stiffer than the original, which I think fits well to this geometric shape.


Do you ever sew garments based on purchased cloths?
If yes, how do you proceed? I pin foil on the several pattern pieces and track the seams with a marker. How about you?

15 comments:

  1. Wow, the construction of this is so cool! What a lovely jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous and that fabric is something else

    SSB. https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely jacket! It looks so beautifully made and that fabric is amazing :)
    Using foil to copy the pieces is a great idea! I normally just pin it flat, trace all the lines onto paper and then neaten them by comparing measurements with a ruler. But that can get tricky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing jacket. Looks really beautiful and interesting :)

    I usually draft a base frame and then copy the lines to the pattern. And compare the measurements with the garment. I've also cut the old item apart from the seam lines(only if it's too worn for me to ever to wear it again)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the construction and fabric of this jacket - and what an amazing setting for your photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those seam lines are sooooo intriguing! you're looking beautiful as always, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you little bit change, you look like pregnant?? and also jachet is looks good !

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous, what an interesting design and beautiful fabric! I've never tried using something in my wardrobe as the basis of a garment, but I am holding on to a very worn-out vintage dress I love in the hope of one day using it to make fresher versions. You did a stunning job with this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely jacket! The way the fabric is joined together is cool. Yes I do sew from my fave ready to wear clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful! I really like both the fabric and the simplicity of the cut. Not to mention the background :>

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love copying my purchased clothes too. They're usually clothes I've worn years and I simply cut them appart to draw a new pattern... I really like this kimono jacket, and I find the cut on the front very interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you ladies for these lovely comments. Always make me smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like a beautiful painting. I have featured it on Sassy Sewing Bees
    https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees ❀

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don’t know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...