2013/09/08

Poncho Smock - Nani Iro

Something new!...I have had this veeeery light weight cotton in my fabric stash for almost a year already. I bought it on etsy, because I loved the various Chinese style paintings on it (view below for a detailed photo). But I always have the same problem with light weight, slightly transparent fabrics. What am I going to do with it?
The idea came while I was sleeping. Yes, sometimes I use to dream of sewing. Have you ever had something like that? Most of the time it is nonesense and I cannot really remember the content. But this time, I woke up and knew I had to get my NaniIro pattern book from the book shelf.


In my opinion, I found the perfect pattern! Poncho smock. Very easy, only 2 pieces pattern. I remember, when I first saw that pattern, I was not very impressed. But now I am so so in love with this, also thinking about how I could perhaps modify it to have longer sleeves for autumn!


Coming back to the blouse...The pattern motif was actually against the straight grain, with fewer illustrations at the top and full motif explosion on the bottom. That is why I decided for a less exciting back.


Look at all the drawings! It has everything I like: parrots, fish, tiger, tea cup...waaaah. And everything combined in one piece of fabric! I am so excited. How about you? Is it overdose?

Have you ever made anything from the Nani Iro Pattern Book? I like their fabrics a lot, but also their patterns (all loose fitting) have something very comfortable. I like the one on the front a lot, too. Remember, I made it two years ago? Time flies girls!!!



32 comments:

  1. So beautiful! What an amazing fabric... looks amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so beautiful! Well done, I have done things from this book in the past but for my daughter. Now that I see you in this I think I will go and get my book out too. You just gave me an amazing idea, to use fabrics as background for photos! I dreamt about something related to sewing last night I this week I will trace the pattern and make modifications according to my dream. It happens a lot to me. When I can not fall asleep guess what I do? I think about sewing and fabrics and books and patterns, I fall asleep while planning my projects in my head! I love your blog and everything you make turns out so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty! I am glad, that I am not the only one, who dreams of sewing! :-D
      Already thought I am obsessed with sewing!...well, but I guess we actually are!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! That's such neat, distinctive fabric. I'm always amazed at how fast time goes by when it comes to fabric, patterns, and plans in the stash - I often feel like I just bought something only to realize it's been a year or more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely know what you are talking about! ;-)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! The fabric is lovely and original!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana! Warm hugs to Portugal, too!!!

      Delete
  5. I love that you thought about putting two different fabrics together. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what an amazing fabric, and a great pattern to showcase it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Really happy, that the combination worked.

      Delete
  7. Ooh la la! This is a wonderful match :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love your new top! Great fabric choice, it's just wonderful. Can you get the Nano Iro book in English do you know? I'm loving the little I've seen of the patterns.

    www.sewunravelled.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jillian,
      Thanks! I am not sure, whether the nani iro book is available in English, but I am pretty sure, that you could easily follow their instructions by looking at the detailed drawings and graphics included. Most of the patterns are very basic. If you would have any questions, feel free to contact me. ;-)

      Delete
  9. Love your smock and the fact that it has a different front and back adds to the charm. The fabric is really pretty without being too cutesy or childish. I don't have the nani iro book but I made the pocho smock from their free pattern on the nani Iro website. It looks like a slightly different pattern than yours. The neckline is gathered and the sleeves are shorter? If you wish, you can see mine here: http://opportunityknits.blogspot.sg/2013/05/two-colour-smock.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing the link! I am off to see your version! :-D

      Delete
  10. Really great fabric and make! My eyes were also very interested in the background in front of which you pose. Is it wallpaper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrienne. Actually, that's fabric! :-)
      I like it that much, that I decided to hang and display it.

      Delete
  11. What a perfect pairing! This looks so great! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it is gorgeous ! I love that you made different front and back, and the fabric is so beautiful... !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, what an amazing fabric! This is such a cute top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to read, that you like it, too, Tilly!

      Delete
  14. I'm in love with that fabric and the pattern. Pretty Nette!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very very cute fabric, this pattern was the perfect one. I'm also a big fan of Nani Iro... Your background fabric is really nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emilie! Hope I will find a nice pattern for this background fabric soon.

      Delete
  16. I love this fabric so much and it seems to works so well with that pattern. Does the shop on Etsy still sell it?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...