2011/07/20

Ahoy or jailbreaker?

Finished my very first garment on the new machine just in time!!! A little summer jacket, very very necessary during this unsteady weather in Germany and perhaps even more in London where I will be travelling to tomorrow for a short trip with my brother and lovely sister in law. Oh, I am so so looking forward to this journey (especially Goldhawk Road, I have heard that there can be found lots of fabric stores side by side)!


The fabric I used is a pure linen one, which I found by chance on my latest fabric shopping trip. I love it because it is just perfectly middle-weighted, not heavy enough to sweat and not too light to freeze. In order to keep the stripes arranged I therefore looked for a pattern with less pattern pieces and darts. I went for BurdaStyle 03/2010 magazine's no. 102. The only alteration I did was to lengthen the sleeves.


I didn't want to add any lining and I didn't want any seams to show up on the outside in order to achieve a clean look, so I went for French seams on the inside and a lot of blind stitching by hand on the sleeves' hems, front facing and hemline.

I am really pleased by the result, although 'others' tell me I look like a jailbreaker! >_<
Ahhh, come on, this is more like a sailor's jacket or am I that wrong?! :)

Anyway, I will be gone for a while, but be back about the time my latest giveaway ends! If you haven't participated, yet, simply jump over and leave a comment. International participants are welcome! 

24 comments:

  1. Never mind the color, this jacket is lovely! I wish I could fly to London and buy many pretty fabrics too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it depends if you accessorize with a big steel ball on a chain or an anchor over your shoulder :o)
    Looks great! I really need to master clothes making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both the jacket and the pics:) There's a special sense of balance I detect in everything you post which makes every visit to your blog very enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mit einem schönen roten accessoire kannst du dem knastilook sicher entgegenstylen (:
    mir gefällts total gut, aber ich habe zur zeit sowieso ein totales faible für blau-weiß-geringeltes aller art.
    einen schönen tripp nach london, annettchen!
    JuliaFL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't listen to those "others", the jacket is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The jacket is gorgeous! Personally I'm a huge fan of the stripes! I would love to wear a jacket like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The jacket is perfect for London! It can get a little cold and wet in London and this jacket will keep you nice and comfortable!! I love London :) Have a great trip!!

    P.S The jacket is definitely more nautical-ahoy than jail suit :D I totally wanna wear a jacket like this one! Ahoy, matey!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute jacket! Have fun in London!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's very cute and you don't look like a prisoner or a sailor! Your seams are lovely, that must have been a pain with linen - but they sure turned out well.

    Have fun in London!

    ReplyDelete
  10. nix. alles super. sieht hervorragend aus. tolles erstes projekt für die neue maschine!! good job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely NOT a jailbreaker! It is so cute and well made, it looks like you'll get a lot of use out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh - ich liebe diese Jacke!
    Sie ist perfekt - so wie sie ist!!!

    Liebste Grüsse,
    Renaade

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely sailor, it' lovely!
    Have a great time in London!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for your encouraging comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @jojoebi
    hahaha, what a lovely idea! AND yes, you should really try yourseld in making clothes! you surely can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. @magdamagda
    thanks magda for this beautiful comment. that means a lot to me! i will try to keep this balance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Julia
    ...der Knastilook! hahahaha...warum hört sich auf deutsch alles immer so schräg an? ;)...danke für den london wunsch! war supi schön!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Andrea
    You are right Andrea! Definitely something one should stop doing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. @★Jewel★
    Thanks Jewel! The trip was wonderful! Will share some photos soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @redsilvia
    Yes, it took so much time to handle the seams, but I am glad that I made that effort! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the horizontal stripes. Such a great jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, such a beautifully-made and classic jacket. I love it! And, no, you don't look like a jailbreaker, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice jacket, love the stripes (can we say stripes when horizontal ??) What did you buy in Goldwahk Road ? I've been there 10 days ago also, and had to give my money to my boyfriend so I don't spend everything I got in the shops. People were very nice also, unlike so many shops in Paris are

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...