So, as already mentioned in my last post DIY Lace Bowls & Giveaway No.2 today I want to share a DIY. Just another idea I got when using that modelling clay. It is an Owl Pin Cushion!
I used some of the material to form the outer shape of an owl and simply added a hand-sewn pin cushion as the owl's belly.
- Prepare the outer shape of the owl with modelling clay. I made it about 1.5cm thick. Then carve out the owl's belly and form the outer edge until it is smooth. Let it air-dry at least 2 days. You can already prepare the pin cushion in the mean time. For that you cut some stiff paper in the size that it fits easily into the belly. Cut another round piece of fabric which diameter is a little bigger than the one of the paper.
- Now hand sew around the edge of the fabric all around, but before pulling the thread tight make sure to put your paper piece inside. Now pull the thread, so that the fabric encloses the paper and make a knot.
- So we have already prepared the base of the pincushion (it is the right round piece on the photo). Now you will need a far bigger round piece of fabric (see the relations on the photo) and some cotton batting to fill the pin cushion. Next, hand sew around the edge of the big round piece of fabric all around and before pulling the thread tight you fill in the cotton batting. If you then pull the thread tight, you will have a nice little ball.
- You will now have to sew the ball onto the pin cushion's base.
- Here you see the pin cushion's bottom, that is its base. The seams of the ball will disappear under the base. Make a knot to finish the pin cushion.
- And here you go. Simply put the pin cushion into the owl and design a face in the way you like.
Hope you enjoyed this tutorial as much as I did.
And in case you did not notice, yet, I have a little giveaway going on. Simply leave a comment under this earlier post, if you would like to win one of the presented brooches.