2011/01/11

Ruche Boxy Jacket (Coco meets Anthropologie)

Remember my post about that Coco Chanel inspired boxy jacket? I really wanted to make one for myself. Unfortunately, I was not able to find bouclé fabric that I really liked. Even not in black...
Anyway, I ended up with a woolen fabric, which color is a little hard to explain...sometimes it seems dark beige-brown and sometimes more grey...
For a plain boxy jacket this fabric might have looked too conservative, so I made up my mind, used the pattern for the jacket as a basis and combined it with a ruche front, which I have once seen on a jacket by Anthropologie (I guess autumn season).


Besides, it took me great effort to get these 3 photos yesterday! I wanted to take advantage of the blue sky (which is seldom in Germany, at the moment). So I went by bike to find a nice place for photos. The good weather made me believe I would not need a scarve. That was no good at all. I had to look for a good place for about 25 minutes and it was freezing 3 degrees cold! When I finally found one,  it was already sunset AND I had the chance to take only 3 photos, then the battery ran down. Afterwards, of course, I had to ride my bike home again for about half an hour...
So I hope you do not mind the photos' bad quality. I had to brighten them up quite a bit.

 
That's why I decided to take some additional photos in my room. One showing the jacket closed and one open.
This jacket's ruching were a lot of hand sewing work. As you can see on the photos above I created a hand rolled hem on the outer edges of the ruchings. I had to do this as the wool would have been too thick just to turn it inside and sew it with a machine. In addition to this I also sewed the ruching punctually onto the jackets front, so that they lie flat to each side.
I, especially, like the lining fabric. It gives the whole jacket that little 'something'.

So what do you think? Frankly speaking, I am not quite sure whether this jacket is really wearable or whether the ruching is just too much. Maybe I am just not used to them. I am curious to read what you think about it!

Bye bye! ♥

18 comments:

  1. I love it. The ruching is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's beautiful! Don't be afraid to stand out. I'm having my own project of making my own clothes, but I don't think I'm as good as you yet!
    http://onlythesmall.blogspot.com/

    I follow your blog with pleasure, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I love this! I think you've done a great job and you should wear it all the time. I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is really cute, I love the ruching - it makes the jacket extra special and unique!

    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  5. die Jacke ist unglaublich schön geworden! Hast du toll gemacht und sie steht dir zudem auch noch sehr gut!;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. It turned out beautifully. You should wear it with pride. People will be jealous when they see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, I think it's completely wearable! Did you sew the zipper tape right over the ruching or is that another piece of fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!! I think this is quite lovely! The design is very girlie & pretty, and the fabric is simple which makes a great balance!
    In spring, I would wear the jacket with vivid color pencil skirt!
    I will have to try the cute lining like yours! It is something:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, the ruching keeps it from being too conservative. It looks fantastic and the photos turned out well (even though you had to make some sacrifices for them, hehehe).

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice way of making a "simple" or classic jacket stand out! I like it a lot and the lining is looking very nice too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the ruching! It is nicely shaped and really makes the jacket, I think the exposed zipper gives it an edge too! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice, I love it! Such a unique jacket, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this jacket, it's so cute and suits you very well!!

    Thanks for your comment. I was a little scared before too, but then I just started and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I think you shoud try to. A basic pants sloper is a good start :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my first time on your blog, and this is the first thing I saw from you, and it's beautiful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. umm, WEAR THAT! i think it's more flattering than the inspiration piece! love the ruching and the exposed zip, and i think the neutral tone makes it totally wearable. tho i would probably wear it if it were florescent green.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Waouhh! It's very beautifull! And your pictures too! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Jacket! I can tell by your face it was cold at the park.
    Ich lebe your blog und Ich liebe deutschland auch

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice jacket. I love the length and the smart look of this jacket. The ruching is perfect touch to the shade of the fabric. Looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful and simply amazing sewing and crafts.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...