2010/10/09

Let me introduce myself

Before I really get started with my blog, I would like to tell you a little about me.
I have been sewing every now and then in my teens, but it was only last year´s summer when I really got obsessed with sewing. I became a member of BurdaStyle community and started to post my projects there. Then one day, I received a mail from Alden Davis (BurdaStyle) and was honored to be featured member. Following you can read my interview and get to know me a little better:



1. Where are you from and/or where do you live?
I was born in Germany, but one might say that I am also from Taiwan. My father is German and my mother is Taiwanese. Also I have always spent my summer vacation in Taiwan because I have a huge family over there. So I feel like coming from 2 different countries.
I live in Dinslaken, which I guess is unknown to the world. Nevertheless it is a nice and calm place and it is part of the European Capital of Culture 2010.

2. What was the 1st thing you made? How did you start sewing?
That must have been in my childhood. I think it was a simple heart-shaped pin cushion for my mother. Today, I would never sew a heart-shaped pin cushion again!…hearts and needles just do not go well together!

I started sewing thanks to my wonderful mother. She used to sew clothes for herself and our family since I am able to think and remember. The noise of a sewing machine always reminds me of my childhood. She is my sewing teacher and I owe her all of my sewing skills. I really appreciate her advise because of her great sewing experience. I can always ask her for help when having a sewing problem. So it seems that she simply infected me with this sewing fever.

3. What role does sewing play in your life?
Sewing has taken over a huge part of my life. For a long time I did not know what kind of thing I was “good” in or what would make me really happy while doing it. I feel like finally I found something that was always inside me, but I had not noticed or, better said, forgotten about. I paused sewing for a couple of years. But since last year, whenever I can spare time, I spend it with sewing. I can forget about everything while creating something new and it simply makes me happy. I guess, that is the most important part of it.

4. What is your favorite and what is your least favorite thing about sewing?
I have 3 favorites! 1. Combining a project I would like to try with a matching fabric. (Though I need to get better in that.) 2. Cutting the fabric into the pattern pieces. (Because this means I am going to get started and that makes me excited.) 3. Wearing the finished garment!
My least favorite things is to undo seams because that means that I have done something wrong.

5. If you could make something for anyone who would it be and what would you make?
Hhm, that is a difficult question. Actually, I cannot think of anyone famous. If I were able to sew hats, I would make lots of them for my boyfriend because he is so into them. Maybe one day I should give it a try.

6. What are you looking for on our site? What do you think should be improved and what do you really like?
I love this site and I am so glad, that equal-minded people from all over the world have the opportunity to share their creations. Thanks to you BurdaStyle Team! There is not really anything to improve, but I think it would be nice to have the possibility to search for members by location, so that one could meet with others living nearby.

7. What is your motto?
My motto is a haiku (Japanese poem) by Issa. Translated in English it goes somehow like this: “Snail, very, very, slowly climb Mount Fuji.” One of the slowest creature on earth tries to climb the highest mountain of Japan. For me this means never to give up and be persevering and diligent, as it is possible to reach every goal, though that might take some time. This also applies to sewing! haha

If you would like to see more of my past projects please follow the link to my projects on BurdaStyle:

4 comments:

  1. hey congrats on being feautured!

    And thanks so much for your comment on my blog, really appreciate it! I might take the dress with me to London if it's finished by then :)

    like your blog, I will definetly check here again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can brighten every British weather with that lovely dress! Thanks for your comment Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello nette,
    thank you very much for your lovely comment on my blog. i love to have found a blog by a sewing addict who makes such wonderful things. you truly have a great talent there.
    i'll be around. xo, Lou

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice blog, congratulations from Biarritz France !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...